After looking for some healthy recipes online, I found out that the classic and original Carbonara from Italy doesn’t have cream in it.
That’s right! Our favorite “white sauce” that has been wearing that high calorie and fattening cream is actually so simple, healthy (with some substitutions), and fast to make. I tried it today and trust me, you’ll never look at Carbonara the same way again. Let me show you how to.
First here are the ingredients. Note that I’m just cooking for myself. From top left:
2 pcs Brown Eggs (I buy eggs that says “cage free”. I just feel like its better)
2 tablespoons Olive Oil (I use Filippo Berrio)
250 g Spaghettini or Spaghetti
2 cloves of Garlic
1 small block of Cheese (You can use Parmesan if you like)
Salt and crushed Pepper to taste
1. Beat the eggs and mix it with the grated cheese. Set aside.
2. Cook pasta till al dente. Around 6-7 minutes. Once you put the pasta in the boiling water…
3. In a hot pan, brown the bacon and add in the garlic. This will smell so good!
4. When the pasta cooks, remove the pan (with the bacon and garlic) from the heat. Put the pasta in it.
5. Pour the egg and cheese mixture on to the hot pasta. The heat from the pasta will cook the eggs fast so to prevent it from curdling and not make an “omelette pasta”, mix it really fast until it becomes creamy.
6. Put in a serving plate, top with olive oil, salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
And whoalla! You’ve got yourself a fast and easy Carbonara.